woodbowlsandthings

March 3, 2013

Life can be a beach

I was walking my favourite local beach last week and noticed a rather large ‘root ball’ when I went to examine it I found that someone had beaten me to it and had taken most of the larger sections that would be good to burn BUT then had left the very best sections for turning, close to the root ball. It has been raining her so much that I had just about forgotten about it but when the sun came out yesterday I decide to load my trusty Husky chain saw into my suburban and go see if what was left was in fact any good to turn. I believe it is some sort of Maple but am not entirely certain. The curlies are quite white or light and it gave off a slightly sour almost farm like smell as I roughed out the blanks. It has been a while since I had the pleasure of turning really green wood and I gotta admit it really is fun.

Read wood gloat. Here is what I was able to cut yesterday from the remaining sections. Sorry I didn’t get any photo’s of the root ball on the beach  . . .

IMG_1659 IMG_1660

I brought it home and today I rough turned the majority of what I had gathered.

I decide to to a semi controlled experiment with the bowl blanks. After roughing them to about 10 percent thickness to diameter.

IMG_1661 IMG_1663

This is all that will eventually be put in the burn pile.

IMG_1662

I cut 9 bowl blanks, one hollow form blank and a few chucks that can be used for spindles.

IMG_1661

I also wound up with lots of cur lies.

IMG_1669 IMG_1668 IMG_1667

I rough turned them all between centres using a 3/4″ bowl gouge and a round carbide cutter.

IMG_1664 IMG_1665

Here is what I did the day after I harvested them:

1. I placed one in a paper bag with wet shaving and will keep it in my heated shop

2. I waxed one and placed it in a paper bag which I will keep in my heated shop

3. I waxed one and stored it outside under the cover of my deck, up off the ground

4. I waxed one and placed it in a paper bag under the cover of my deck, up off the ground

5. I boiled one for two hours and will place it in a paper bag in my heated shop

6. I boiled on for two hours and will wax it and place it in a paper bag in my heater shop

7. I placed on in an ice cream bucket filled with DNA.

I put the rest of the haul in my deep freezer and plan to rough out a couple more, one I will try to dry gradually in a micro wave oven and another I plan to boil for 2 hours and then place under the cover of my deck up off the ground.

I started working on them today at about 08:30 and was finished and playing hockey with my grandsons by 1:30.

Over the next four months I will check on them and report what happens and see if my non-sientific experiment provides any clues as to what works and what doesn’t work as far a getting them dry enough to finish turn.

Advertisements

Leave a Comment »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: